Monday, February 6, 2012

Classic Rock

Call Tom

Recorded in January of 1993 by Chris Foley, at his grandmother's house in Jamestown, Rhode Island. It was a big old shingled house and there was at least a foot of snow on the ground. If it wasn't one's turn in THE ROOM to lay down dubs, one sat on the living room floor in the sun and cigarette smoke listening to Damned, Beefheart, and Roxy Music vinyl and got schooled by Pete Ryan, who could speak on almost anything, and interestingly. Tom made his spicy potatoes and eggs skillet for breakfast. There were large fishing boats in the harbor. Beers. At night during cigarette breaks you could enjoy pitch black skies and clear stars along with your breath clouds. One night me & Lys slept in this huge downy old bed, and remarkably did not lay it. Tender moments. Tom's vocal sesh on Atlanta could be heard all over the house, we giggled and went daaaamn in the living room. Joe Daley had a candy red thunder broom and Lys had a giant, glossy, black-slab ES-something monster. I was glad to overcome rubbery arms and nail one fill at the end of Atlanta, because after all that's Chris Foley on the mix, and he was the drummer in SS Decontrol. And Bulkhead. SO you have to try. I thought hardcore people would be angry or frightening but Chris was like a giant friendly DAD. He made piccolos, cooked really well, and was patient and encouraging with the first timers. 

-Ted

Castle

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm going to have to go digging through some boxes. Glad you put this up, Greg. - Lys

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple of comments here... first off it was I who took that photo of the American Pragmatists. It was taken in front of a town house on the campus of Fairfield Univeristy one lovely afternoon in the winter of '94. I know it was me because I took the photo with my Nikon, then went to a darkroom, processed the film and then printed it on a 5x7 glossy paper. The whole ordeal took me hours kids. If anyone is interested, I have several rolls of photos of the Pragmatists in all their reincarnations. - Goot

    ReplyDelete